If you follow me on Twitter you'll probably be aware that we're camped out in Bologna hospital with Aran. Just over a week ago, after a restless night and an exceptionally high fever, we took him into A&E to learn that he'd got pneumonia. It didn't end there, as he developed a complication, a post Strep immunological reaction that hit his kidneys pretty hard.

Things are on the up; the antibiotics are doing their thing with the pneumonia and Aran's renal function has now stabilised, thankfully without the need for dialysis or a biopsy (which we feared might be needed). He's an appetite again, has stabilised in weight and temperature and is much more his usual self.

The kidneys are slow to respond though, and we're going to be here for a few more days at least before we start to see an improvement. The doctors here are specialists and know exactly what they want to see before they even think about discharging us!

This also means that I won't be returning to work from monday; I'd say at this point it will be another week at least, if not longer. We're now connected to the free patient wifi and we're posting updates to keep everyone informed (Twitter mostly, and personal FB pages). If you're waiting for an email from me please bear with us! (I'll try and get auto replies etc updated but we've only got our phones to work with)

Thanks so much for your patience, and every message we've received is very much appreciated! Aran's going to be fine, he's over the worst of it now :)

AuthorWoolly Wormhead
CategoriesOffspring, Tom