It's that time again... here goes....
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)?
- Absolute fibre snob, I'm afraid. Full-on wool junkie, with a love of all animal fibres. I can't stand acrylic or acrylic blends and certainly can't bear 'fashion' yarns... Yarns that knit up on 4mm-7mm needles are ideal. And I *love* handspun... drool ;)
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
- I've made all my own needle roll cases and I've now got some chunky tool cases to keep everything in. My last SP sent me a beautiful hand-made roll for my DPNs & hooks, so I'm more than sorted.
3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
- Been knitting since I was 3, nearly 32 years and an advanced knitter... methinks...
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
- Got a book and DVD wishlist in the sidebar under the 'Curiosities' section.
5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
- Patchouli! I have allergies to most perfumes and scents so prefer natural essential oils. And being a bit of a hippy at times, Patchouli is the one for me. Like Lavender too, as it's good for wool.
I've also got skin allergies to most bath/beauty products and laundry products too (anything that contains enzymes)... just a friendly warning! Mind, if it's naturally made for sensitive skin I'm usually ok.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
- no sweet tooth, I'm afraid. Occassionally, and only occassionally, I don't mind some decent dark chocolate with nuts in, or Green & Black's. But I absolutely *love* coffee and savoury stuff, especially nuts :)
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
- Spinning, crochet & dyeing feature often. I'll try my hand at most things. Can do bobbin lace, felt, macrame, weaving, printing, sewing etc etc... all yarny and textile crafts. Also pretty good with a fret saw and drill ;) (so long as it's wood or silver; I'll leave the hardcore stuff to Tom)
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
- We're completely MP3 friendly. As for music... jeez, loads. Indie, dub, lounge.. might be easier to say I don't like soft rock or heavy metal, rap, boy bands, girl bands.
9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
- Can't stand navy blue, bottle green, yellow, beige, white or pale/pastelly colours. I wear a lot of black and only tend to wear colour in hats and accessories. But as for my knitting, I use colour - rather into cerises, jades and purples at the mo; black's a safe bet too. I have an annoying habit of buying colour/yarn in 100g quantities...
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
- live with my sweetheart Tom who's also another crafty, arty, practical, quirky sort and our two furry monsters (cats) Minky and Spook. Spook's inherited my love of yarn and fabrics!
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
- Hats, hats, hats and Hats! I wouldn't be seen dead in a poncho, sorry.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
- Hats again!
13. What are you knitting right now?
- I'm writing and developing some more Hat patterns. I've got a coat on the needles, my own design, using some charcoal Lopi. Next non-hat thing will probably be a shrug from some lush angora that keeps talking to me....
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
- Absolutely! Making and giving is what it's all about.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
- I adore my DPNs but will use whatever is needed for the job. Have no problem with straights but do love working in the round whenever I can (I loathe sewing up) Portable is good. Bamboo and wood only.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
- Both, and a niddy-noddy
17. How did you learn to knit?
- My Mum taught me the basics when I was 3, have learnt the rest over the years.
18. How old is your oldest UFO?
- Hmmm... probably the body warmer/zipped vest in wool & mohair that's stuffed behind the sofa... think it's been on the needles a year? Think I might abandon it now, considering it was the answer to the same question in the last round of Secret Pal...
19. What is your favorite holiday?
- a travelling one.
20. Is there anything that you collect?
- Ok.... hand-made, wooden Textile tools of any kind, preferably portable/smallish ones. Got a few antique pieces and some more unusual tools. Have hundreds of hand-turned lace bobbins. Got knitting needles in all sizes in bamboo, so now have my eye on more quirky or specialist ones. Small silver notions like thimbles... got a hallmarked silver saftey pin amongst my favourites. Quality, organic-looking buttons & beads (like wood, silver etc). Yarn?? Can my stash be counted as a collection? Oh, I'm also rather partial to slices of agate... hang them in the window and the way the light shines through is lovely. Have hundreds of Textile books, mainly techniques, artists or historical (my degree is in Textiles, hence all the books) Finally mustn't forget the hats... doh. Do tell me if you think I'm verging on the obsessive...
21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
- don't do magazines of any kind really, they've never interested me - much more a book person. I do subscribe to one journal, though, 'Selvedge', and I'm fully paid-up for the next year. Have checked out most of the knitting mags and they ain't for me. There are a couple of books on the wishlist. And needles... reckon we're pretty limited here in the UK, so would be happy to get hold of some hand made wooden needles... Not bothered about patterns, if I'm honest, as I rarely find one that truely grabs me and have designed my own for years.
22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
- memory improvement skills.
23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
- indeedy. I use machine-washable aran wools for my socks mostly. The tips of my toes to the back of my heel is 25cm, mens size 7Uk, EUR41.
24. When is your birthday?
- 11th February